Last night as my wife, Mary, and I discussed yesterday’s blog post, she added a couple of things that were quite obvious to her concerning my compulsions, things I had apparently overlooked or with which I have become so comfortable, they are now normal to me.
- My CD collection is organized alphabetically and then by release date.
- When I find a brand/type of pen I like, I usually go out and buy 5-6 packages so I won’t run out. Right now on my desk at Coastal Oaks, my pen holder has 13-15 Uni-ball Power Tank pens (which they no longer make) and 10 Zebra F-402 pens……….and nothing else.
In continuing Francis Chan‘s “Profile of the Obsessed” from his book, “Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God“, here are 7 more traits of a person totally obsessed with their relationship with God through Jesus Christ. Again, this is good stuff!
7. GIVERS – People who are obsessed with God are known as givers, not takers. Obsessed people genuinely think that others matter as much as they do, and they are particularly aware of those who are poor around the world.
8. SOJOURNERS – A person who is obsessed thinks about heaven frequently. Obsessed people orient their lives around eternity; they are not fixed only on what is here in front of them.
9. THE ENGROSSED – A person who is obsessed is characterized by committed, settled, and passionate love for God, above and before every other thing and every other being.
10. UNGUARDED ONES – People who are obsessed are raw with God; they do not attempt to mask the ugliness of their sins or their failures. Obsessed people don’t put it on God; He is their safe place, where they can be at peace.
11. THE ROOTED – People who are obsessed with God have an intimate relationship with Him. They are nourished by God’s Word throughout the day because they know that forty minutes on Sunday is not enough to sustain them for a whole week, especially when they will encounter so many distractions and alternative messages.
12. THE DEDICATED – A person who is obsessed with Jesus isd more concerned with his or her character than comfort. Obsessed people know that true joy doesn’t depend on circumstances or environment; it is a gift that must be chosen and cultivated, a gift that ultimately comes from God. (James 1:2-4)
13. SACRIFICERS – A person who is obsessed with Jesus knows that the best thing he can do is be faithful to his Savior in every aspect of his life, continually saying “Thank you!” to God. An obsessed person knows there can never be intimacy if he is always trying to pay God back or work hard enough to be worthy. He revels in his role as child and friend of God. (Psalm 50:9-12, 14)